Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

2013 is a big year, full of some big anniversaries and milestones. My two-year compression screw and knee replacement anniversary is coming up in 12 days, and my four year diagnosis and first surgery anniversary is in six months. Once I reach my four year milestone I will be able to move to a yearly CT schedule instead of the 6 month schedule I'm on now. Less exposure to radiation is always a good thing!

Since this is such a big year I have some big goals to achieve. I am signed up for the Dirty Girl 5k mud run in March. Cancer survivors get waived registration which is amazing and awesome! In April there is a short triathlon (200 yard swim, 10 mile bike ride, 2 mile run/walk) that I'm going to enter as soon as the registration opens. In addition, now that I'm starting to forget what the end of the walk felt like, I want to walk the Rock & Roll Half Marathon again this November and beat last years time.

Obviously, with all of these events I'll need to do a lot of walking so my goal is to walk a total of 500 miles by December 31, 2013. I'm pretty sure I managed to walk 500 miles in 2012; however, I forgot to keep track (woops) so I'll need to do a better job this year. In addition to the walking, I will need to add some road biking (gulp) and some swimming back into my routine. Thankfully, I have found some nice quiet roads that I can use to get back into my biking groove. Getting back into the pool is something I'm really looking forward to. I like how quiet it is when my head is in the water and how my mind goes blank while I forget to count how many laps I have swum.

It's great to finally have a year where I can look ahead to the future and actually plan events. Here is to a healthy and happy 2013!


No comments: