Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Have A Surgery Date

And now i'm starting to get nervous. 

Surgery is scheduled a week from today, Thursday January 13th. Surgery is estimated to be 4 hours long and the hospital stay from 4-7 days. It all depends on my recovery; how well I do with therapy, and my pain. 

Good news is that after the surgery I will have a brand new scar. My surgeon is going to trim the current scar, all the way out to the "railroad" tracks running down my leg from the staples scars left over from the previous two surgeries. This time I will get sutures, which, in his opinion, leave a nicer, neater, smaller scar. We will see. 

Awesome news is that six weeks after surgery I will be off of crutches. It's hard to believe that in March I won't be using crutches anymore. 

Bad news is that the pain will be comparable with my first surgery which is something I am really not looking forward. As happy as I am to finally get this over and done with I am not looking forward to the first 2-3 days post surgery, especially since he wants me up on crutches 1 day post surgery. I am having a very hard time wrapping my head around that since I didn't even want to sit up the day after my first surgery. At least I know that I will get some good pain killers and the pain does get better day after day. 

There really isn't much to update on my knee at this point, besides the screw is continuing to work it's way out. I did find out that when my knee needs to pop and it feels like something is "catching" it is my iliotibial band (IT band) which explains why it's so painful. 

My mother in law is arriving on Monday, the 10th, to help us out with the kids during the surgery and my hospital stay. The kids are so excited, they can't wait to see grandma Sharon and are counting down the days!

No comments: